Friday, November 30, 2018

Embrace the Season of Lights

Yesterday, I was feeling a little blue about the gray shroud that has enveloped the Rochester skies for several weeks now and was missing the sun terribly.  But then I remembered that this is the Season of Lights!  I went down to the basement, brought up the Christmas lights and with just a few minor annoyances, was able to string some garland and lights on my stairs, mantel and outdoor shrubs.  I lit a couple of candles and stepped back to admire my work, as I anticipated the pine scent of the tree we would bring into the house this weekend and the beauty of the ornaments that would decorate it.

Sometimes, these weeks of preparation before  Christmas and Hanukkah can seem overwhelming, with all the shopping, cooking and endless holiday songs in every store.  But if we can keep our focus on the simple beauty of the season...the message of Light and hope coming into the world and transforming its darkness into love and peace, we will find  joy amidst all the craziness.

Take a few moments today, to close your eyes, sit in silence, breathe in the Light of the Spirit and embrace this season of hope.  Direct your breath to the heart center, filling it with love for family, friends and acquaintances, then breathe out this love and light in an expanding circle.

Release darkness, sadness, and regret and affirm: "Today, I give thanks, that in a darkened world, I can seek and find light, peace and hope".

No comments:

Post a Comment