Monday, February 10, 2020

The Song of the Rocks

I traveled to New Mexico recently to visit my daughter and her family.  We prayed together, seeking protection and peace during a challenging time.  One afternoon, we drove to a trail in the Gila National Forest, a pristine wilderness area that has a special energy all its own.  We hiked through the forest a bit at the meandering pace of my two year old granddaughter, admiring the scents of juniper, cedar and spruce and eventually found a spot next to a small creek to relax, do a little water play and soak in the winter sun.
 

I crossed the creek to sit on a large rock that was surrounded by others that were mammoth sized.  I sensed that the rock was ancient, connected to some deep wisdom that the earth had to share.  After a few minutes of peaceful meditation, I noticed that the rock seemed to be singing.  The sound was amazingly beautiful-like Tibetan singing bowls on a large scale and the peace that I felt was indescribable.  The words that came to mind were "God is my rock and my fortress", which I later found to be from Psalm 18:2.  The message seemed to be clear: God's spirit has the power of an impenetrable shield, protecting us from darkness and evil.  Whatever difficulties arise, this Rock is our source of infinite strength. 
The next day, we walked in the neighborhood, ending up at the Buddhist Center, where I sat on a stone bench to rest and contemplate for a few minutes.  I had the thought that there are many things common among religions...Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism and Judaism, all teach that stillness, seeking the Divine within, not ruminating on the past or being anxious about the future and being fully present are the means to finding true and lasting peace.

Today, may we rest in this and in the protection of our Rock, knowing that all things will be well.
Step outside, breathe deeply the cold winter air, ground to the ancient wisdom of the earth and connect to the Source of all knowing.  Experience peace in this moment.

2 comments: