Monday, November 16, 2020

Be Still My Soul

 We are living in a time of tremendous personal, national and worldwide anxiety.  Whatever we are each dealing with personally on a day to day basis is compounded by a contentious post-election period, a pandemic raging worse than ever before and a very shaky economy. We cannot envision the future because we have never been here before.  

If you, like me, find yourself waking up in the wee hours of the morning with this anxiety, perhaps you can relate to my message this morning.  "Be still my soul" is my thought for the day, something to carry with me, breathe in and out and find peace in. When I am able to focus my attention on the breath, affirming that God is with me, that he/she is the Light within that carries me through the darkest night and sustains me, I can still the busy machinery of my thoughts and release my fear. 

I can begin to sense the shift in consciousness that is happening in the world, in my country, in my heart. 

 I can begin to embrace hope for a brighter future once this period of darkness has passed.  I can, by the power of Spirit, fill my heart with light and peace and imagine this radiating out to my community, my country and the world.

So hope for a great sea-change
on the far side of revenge.
Believe that a further shore
is reachable from here.
Believe in miracles
and cures and healing wells.
Call the miracle self-healing:

The utter self-revealing
double-take of feeling.
If there’s fire on the mountain
Or lightning and storm
And God speaks from the sky

That means someone is hearing
the outcry and the birth-cry
of new life at its term.

-exerpted from "A Cure at Troy", by Seamus Heaney

On this day, I will breathe in Light, choosing to" believe in miracles and cures and healing wells"



2 comments: