Monday, January 4, 2021

A Heart Filled With Gratitude

 As we step into a New Year, trying to release the past and embrace whatever lies ahead, may our hearts be filled with gratitude.  Post-holiday, in the midst of winter and a raging pandemic, it may seem challenging to find things to feel grateful for, but simple gifts are all around us. 

It may take conscious effort at first, to focus on the good rather than the problems in our life, but if we make a habit of it, starting with our first breath every morning, we will be happier and more productive.  It may be helpful to keep a journal specifically for gratitude, which reinforces the habit of focusing on the positive.  You can then read through it whenever you're feeling down to remind yourself of your many blessings.

Be thankful that you can take deep breaths of fresh air, that you can walk or move around by some other means, that you have five senses with which to appreciate life.  Ponder the miracle of your own human body, affirming health and wholeness.  Pray the same for those you love, surrounding them with a protective shield of light and love.  Open your eyes, look around, appreciate the beauty of the morning light and the gifts of the season.  "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things".*

I know from experience, that at times of great loss or pain, it may seem nearly impossible to see the good in one's situation. Years ago, when I was going through a particularly difficult time and had just experienced a near tragedy, I had a vision while praying.  I saw an outstretched hand, encircled in light, which was holding a gold coin.  On one side, the coin was dirty, dull and scratched, but as I watched, the hand turned the coin to show the other side, which was brilliant and glowing.  In a flash of inspiration, I saw the near tragic situation as a beautiful, shining salvation.  What could have happened, didn't and what was left was light and hope.

We can always choose to see the shiny side of the coin, no matter what the circumstances...



*Philippians 4:8


1 comment:

  1. Patti:

    Grateful for you and your inspiring words every Monday.

    Blessings

    Lance

    ReplyDelete