Hearts, flowers, chocolates and hallmark cards; Valentines Day reminders have been everywhere the past few weeks! It is the day when we express our love to those we care about and maybe spend a few quiet moments thinking about our hearts. The heart is the center of our being, the seat of our emotions and as such, is integral to the healthy expression of the fruits of the spirit: love, joy, peace and kindness.
So this holiday is a good time to ask ourselves: "Is my heart open, fully able to express love to others, or is it closed off by painful experiences, loneliness, unforgiveness, shame or regret?" "What do I need to let go of in order to be able to love freely and unconditionally?"
According to Brenda Wade, PhD, "past and present hurts can cause us to shut down and miss out on the joy that life has to offer....we learn to hide in plain sight. Sadly, when we feel too hurt or afraid to let ourselves out, it becomes impossible to let others in. We also feel cut off from the freedom and love that are ours by right, as spiritual beings, as children of God."
Even if we're not aware of areas where our heart is harboring some pain or resentment, it is a good practice to sit in stillness and ask "how open is my heart?" and "what do I need to release today?"
Dr. Wade offers a heart opening meditation that we can add to our spiritual practice:
Breathe in Love
I breathe deeply and send
light and love to my heart.
I relax as its closed places
begin to open.
I shine the healing light of
acceptance in the darkened
corners of my soul.
I release all feelings of shame
and the heavy burden of pain.
I set myself free
My love flows through me
in my community, country,
and world.
We are all blessed children
of universal light and love.
Amen


I always love your writing! Your prayers! Your spirit! Happy Valentine's Day, Patti (& Tom)!
ReplyDeleteThank you Debra!
DeleteI hope you had a Happy Valentines Day too!