Monday, June 7, 2021

In the Flow

I step out into the morning and the warm breeze is stirring the leaves of the trees as flower petals drift to the ground in a lovely dance. For a moment, I enter into the space between time and see the flow of everything...interconnected and luminous and, as I step back into the pattern of thought, wonder why we find it so hard to live in this flow.

 

Of course, I know the answer as soon as I ask the question. Our world is so vastly different from what I experienced in that moment of flow. Our days are ordered and scheduled; hours divided into minutes and seconds. We live by rules and laws, we have commitments and obligations; bills to pay and people to feed.  Unlike nature, which has its own sequence and order within the flow of  the Master Designer, we feel the need to control every aspect of our lives, to micro-manage, judge and evaluate everything, including and especially ourselves. We humans try to manage our lives like mini-gods and when something unexpected comes our way, we can fall apart if it doesn't fit into our carefully orchestrated world order.  

So how do we pattern ourselves after nature, letting go of the control and entering into the Divine flow while still maintaining a sense of rhythm and order?

I think it starts with staying in the present moment, not wasting precious energy planning the future or ruminating on the past. The bible tells us to stay alert and watchful, letting go of fear and moving through life, embracing each moment and focusing on what is excellent and praiseworthy.  I believe we need to take some time each day to be still, to connect to the Divine flow of life, to release anything in our lives that doesn't feel authentic.  

To start, just go outside and breathe; notice the movements of nature, the beauty of creation. Use all of your senses: what do you see?...  what do you hear?... what do you smell?  Then step into the flow of life, become immersed in it, let all thought go and just be. Who are you in this moment, without thought, judgment or ego?  This may be a little scary, I know, but it can reveal truths about areas that need to be excavated and released.  If you ask, you will receive answers and open up new doors of experience.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you".
-Jesus,  
Matthew 7:7 

No comments:

Post a Comment