I've heard people refer to their "happy place"....a place that connects them to something real and soul-affirming; a place that brings them joy. It may be a vacation spot or a walking trail; an art studio or a boat; it may simply be their own backyard, a joyful memory, or a beautiful place they imagine going.
Our happy place may be something we do: listening to music, singing or dancing, hugging our children or grandchildren, picking berries, cooking and eating a delicious meal.. watching the sunset on the lake.
This morning, as I walked my little dog Shamus, I closed my eyes for a few seconds and listened to the symphony of bird song; I felt the soft caress of morning breeze on my face and I smelled the bouquet of every tree and flower that I passed. I felt joy and gratitude well up in me and realized that this "now moment" can be my happy place, if I just tune in to the pulse of life and embrace it with my whole being.
So often we think we have to go somewhere or wait for a different, less stressful period in our lives to be happy. But we can always choose, at any time, to embrace the beauty of the moment. We can stop and pause, take a deep breath, go outside into nature if possible, and use all our senses to truly experience the life around us.
Like Dorothy in the "Wizard of Oz", we can wake up from our dream and realize that our "happy place" is not "somewhere over the rainbow" but right where we are, in our own backyard, wherever God has placed us in life.

A beautiful reminder on this beautiful morning!
ReplyDeleteYes, it really was a beautiful morning (as today is!) I'm trying everyday to not let my overly busy mind keep me from appreciating the beauty all around!
DeleteI loved your devotion today. It made me think again of
ReplyDeletewhere I am right now. In a double room with a child-like adult that has MS pretty bad. At times she moans, and groans. It's hard to take. I keep quiet. It'd be so nice to go home or perhapsive in a facility such as your father resided. Thank You!
My heart goes out to you Deb and I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be in your situation. But you have a strong spirit and your faith to help you. You can bring the beauty and strength you have in your heart into the moment and find your happy place. I'd love to come visit now that Covid restrictions are lifted; maybe take you for a walk outside if they allow that?
Delete