Today, as we pause to honor the "worker bees" who have gone before us and those who contribute so much to our daily lives today, may we also take a moment to reflect on the value of pausing to rest and appreciate the beauty all around us.
Work is important, we would certainly all agree, and life as we know it would not go on save for the contributions of doctors, nurses, teachers, police officers, food service workers and countless others who are cogs in the societal wheel.
But life should be lived in balance, and rest and rejuvenation are as important as work is to our collective well-being.
![]() |
I just returned from a week in the Southwestern desert, visiting my daughter and her family. I had a lovely time, enjoying my granddaughter's charms against the backdrop of beautiful mountains and the Rio Grande River.
Normally relentlessly hot and dry, it actually rained a couple times during my visit, which is a Divine blessing for them.
Coming home, filled with a mix of joy and sadness, I was struck by the difference in the climate and felt a fresh appreciation for the lush growth and cool, moist air of our Finger Lakes region.
Last night, Tom and I walked the pier at sunset and watched in wonder as the rosy pink, glowing waves washed over the walkway. People and dogs strolled by, photographers stopped to capture the moment and everyone seemed to be in awe at such glory. The scene was like a beautiful painting; a work of art fashioned by a loving Creator.
Later, I sat on the deck and looked up at a a sky full of stars as I listened to a chorus of crickets soothing the night with their lullaby. Every living thing around me seemed to be breathing in synchronicity, and the beauty of the moment filled me with a profound peace.Such is life -- work and rest, movement and pause, like the waves in the lake...
Breathe deeply and enter into the moment; be present, be mindful, don't miss any of it,
for it is far too precious.


No comments:
Post a Comment