After an especially busy weekend, I am reminded this morning about the importance of carving out some "me time". The phrase may sound a little selfish to those of us who are are baby boomers raised in a strong work ethic culture, or busy parents focusing on giving our children the time and attention they need, but it is essential to recharge our batteries in order to continue to give to others. I'm sure we're all familiar with the instructions that flight attendants give out before the plane departs: "make sure to put on your own oxygen mask before helping others". We cannot help others if we ourselves are depleted.
We can start by just stopping to breathe, in fresh appreciation of the oxygen that connects us to the Source of life and nourishes our body. In a moment of silence, we can ask our inner being what it is that brings us a sense of joy and relaxation. It may be as simple as taking a walk, doing some yoga or playing golf. It could be taking a hot bath or shower, reading a book or meditating. It may just be some much needed self-care, like a healthy home cooked meal or a good night's sleep. Ideally, we should be unplugging from electronics during this time, since watching TV or tuning into social media tends to sap our energy rather than restore it.
Whatever it is that connects us to our deepest selves and feeds our souls so that we can once again go out and give our best to those around us, is our own personal "me time". It might be helpful to spend a few minutes writing in a journal, listing some of the activities that make your spirit sing. When my energy is depleted and I feel a little overwhelmed and "burned
out", or even as an everyday exercise, I will think of my favorite
things and be kind to myself. Like the advice Julie Andrews gives in "The Sound of Music":
...When the dog bites, when the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad....
For me, personally. I find that yoga, walking in the woods, meditating/praying, listening to music and singing are the activities that refresh and restore. Of course, it'll be a little different for everyone, since each one of us is a unique expression of our Creator.
When we have filled our cup, we can bring that freshness and creativity back out to the world as our own special gift.

Beautiful image
ReplyDelete