Monday, March 21, 2022

Springsong

Out walking this morning, as the season turns towards spring, my senses are awakened.  I see the sun peeking over the horizon, flooding this patch of earth with light; I hear the beautiful song of a bright red cardinal, perched high in a tree as I pass by. He is joined by the birdsong of what seem to be hundreds in this holy choir...praising morning and heralding spring. I smell the rich, earthy scent of soil newly released from snow and ice.  It all surprises me with the joy of being alive, here and now, in this time and place. 

Whatever else is happening on this planet -- war, pain, loss, sorrow, all those things that are beyond my control, I believe in the power of this moment.  I will join the birds in a song to the morning, a song of thanks and praise for what is, for the good and the beauty that is still here, all around us.

I believe that praise and thanks is what lifts us up and helps to shift the planetary mayhem. To quote Paul in Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things".  This is what will bring about the change we want in the world, if enough of us focus on the power of our thoughts to triumph over darkness and evil.

So, as we pass the vernal equinox and shift towards spring, summer and many things that are excellent or praiseworthy, I hope that each one of us would trust in the power of his or her own prayers to make a difference. Everything we think and do matters; nothing and no one is insignificant.

 So breathe deeply, give thanks and choose joy today.






3 comments:

  1. Today I choose joy! What a beautiful day! Thank you, Patti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Patti. I ve missed your meditations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I send them out every Monday; let me know if you want to be on the email list. (Joanna can give me your email)

      Delete