What image does the word "revival" conjure up for you? I can't help thinking about traveling preachers holding huge tent meetings and warning people to "repent and be saved"; to turn from sin and be filled with the Spirit. Such meetings, historically, have been more about instilling fear in people as a means to "save souls" than about actually reviving people spiritually, in my opinion.
But of course, revival has other meanings. I like the ones given by Dictionary.com: "restoration to life, consciousness, vigor or strength"; "restoration to use" and "religious awakening". I believe that many of us go through life on automatic pilot, going through the motions of daily life, fulfilling our duties and interacting with others, but not really seeing the full picture, not being fully engaged in the flow of life.
I struggle with this lack of awareness every day. As I've gotten older, I wake up a little stiffer every morning and don't begin to "revive" until I've had some coffee and done my yoga stretches. Then I walk, pray and meditate to try to restore myself to "life, consciousness vigor or strength", which of course helps me to "restore to use" and attempt to have a daily "religious awakening". It doesn't always work so well. Some days I push the snooze button too many times and find myself rushed to get to work, ending up feeling off all day. Some days really tough circumstances get in the way of my attempts to get in the flow of life and live in a spiritually awakened state.But the way I look at it, at least I'm trying. Every day, I wake up seeking revival, as many of us do. We may have different ways of doing this and my methods may not be right for you. But I encourage you this day, to find a few minutes out of your busy schedule to do whatever it is that revives you, mentally, physically and spiritually. It may be listening to, playing or singing music, hiking in the woods, gardening, reading something inspirational, meditating, praying or simply taking a hot bath or shower with some essential oils. Whatever it is that connects you to the flow of life and revives your spirit, do more of it. If you have to let something go that doesn't feel right, release it.
Seek revival today because every morning is a precious gift!


We are so blessed to be so spiritually connected to a community that gives us so many sources of revival to choose from.
ReplyDelete