"Let there be light"...the first words of God in the book of Genesis, at the very beginning. His first gift, really, was light and the separation of darkness from that light. The light of the Spirit and then the light of the sun, made life possible and still sustains us.
These thoughts come to me as I wake on this very dark morning, at 5:30 am, before the winter sun, hiding behind gray clouds, makes its appearance. It is January, in Rochester, after all and the sun rarely makes an appearance. The holiday lights have mostly been put away in storage. Yesterday, I spent part of the afternoon taking our live Christmas tree down (I could no longer deny the fact that its needles were dropping fast and furiously). So no more holiday brightness, very little sun and a winter of darkness...where do we find our light?The fortunate escape to a sunnier place for the winter, but the rest of us stay here, hibernating in the darkness, catching those rare moments of sunshine and seeking the inner Light to sustain us. As I write this, a light therapy box sits on my kitchen table and shines brightly...re-gifted from my daughter, who no longer lives in gloomy Seattle. It does help some and I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder (a.k.a winter depression).
Tom and I also make it a point to get out to a park and walk every afternoon, to catch whatever glimpses of sun appear and to stay connected to the beauty of nature, which is ever present when your eyes are open. There is always something fascinating to watch, whether it's geese coming in for a landing or the shimmer of late afternoon sun on water.
Every morning, especially in winter, I believe it's important to turn on the inner light, seeking God in prayer and meditation. Throughout the day, as well, I can stay connected by breathing deeply, envisioning the white light of the Spirit surrounding and protecting me. As I pray for others, I can imagine the Light healing and protecting them as well.
There are lessons to be learned in the dark hibernation of winter, for sure, but it's still important to seek the light, physically and spiritually, in as many ways as possible...let there be light!

No comments:
Post a Comment