Monday, April 3, 2023

The Gift of Life

 The other day, I bought several packages of seeds and some dahlia bulbs. I look at them this morning and am struck anew at the miracle of life that we so often take for granted. I trust that I will plant those seeds and bulbs in soil, water them, give them some sunlight and in a few weeks, they will emerge from their seed shells to become something new. 


I know that the basil seeds will grow into beautiful green, fragrant leaves; the cilantro will be a curly, pungent flavoring for salads and tacos; the sunflower seeds will grow tall and showy; the dahlias will grace my garden with lovely, deep purple and peachy colors. As I think about this, I give thanks for the morning, for my own lungs that freely breathe the crisp air, for my ears that hear the excited cries of birds heralding spring; for my eyes that see the green and pale gold of early light.

This week, especially, as we meditate on the lessons of Easter with its themes of rebirth, renewal and its promises of eternal life, may we all open our eyes to the miracle and beauty of life. Romans 1:20 tells us that the evidence for the Creator is in the creation: look around and you will see tiny miracles everywhere. Examine a leaf or blade of grass through a microscope or even a magnifying glass, study the natural world from a cellular level, and there's no denying that there must be a Master Designer.

It's true that we live in a very imperfect world where terrible, tragic things happen, there is poverty, injustice and political discord; things that cannot be accepted or explained, but I believe there is hope for peace and healing. I choose to trust in miracles.



No comments:

Post a Comment