Monday, December 18, 2023

A Simple Offering

 The man standing outside the church door was shivering and his eyes implored me as he asked, "did I miss the meal? I didn't know what time it was..." 


Tom and I were on our way out after helping to serve meals to about 80 poor and homeless people on this December day. The doors had been locked for several minutes after the usual Sunday meal that the downtown Rochester church provided, but I could not let this man go away empty handed. I went back inside and asked for one more takeout meal. As I handed him the meal, he thanked me profusely and looked at me with kind, soulful eyes. Such a simple gift, this exchange...a meal for a look into someone's soul. My heart broke for him and I uttered a silent prayer for his protection.

We came home to our warm, cheery house with its Christmas lights, festive tree and fireplace and I thought again of this man. Where did he go?  Did he have a home?  I felt so enormously grateful for all the comforts and blessings that we take for granted, but at the same time, a deep sadness welled, for I had looked into the man's eyes, felt his suffering, and was powerless to help. I thought of the others who came in for a meal -- the woman who walks around with all her belongings in a cart and loves to sit for as long as possible, savoring the warmth and food. The man who is so polite and kind, always profusely expressing his gratitude to the volunteer servers. I always wonder about them as I pray: What are their stories? How did they get where they are in life? What can I do other than serve them a meal, offer a kind word and a smile?

I don't know the answers to these questions, of course, but maybe if I keep asking, rather than pretending I don't see as I've done before in my life, the answers will be revealed.

As we draw closer to Christmas Day and frantically try to finish all the last minute holiday preparations, I hope that each one of us finds time to pause, be silent, and reflect on the beautiful blessings that we often take for granted. My meditation for today is that our hearts would be fully opened to share the simple gifts of compassion, kindness and love, not only with our families, but with those in our communities who may be lost and alone.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment