Monday, January 22, 2024

Here Comes the Sun

The sun made an appearance yesterday, which somehow transformed the frigid cold of winter into a more bearable season. In this part of the country, come January, we begin to feel like underground moles, unaccustomed to the light, since it's been gray for so long. January, which in recent years has become a month of loss and pain for me, seems more hopeful when I see those rays of sunshine.


It reminds me of the Beatles song:

Here comes the sun
Doo doo doo doo
Here comes the sun and I say
It's alright

Little darling, it's been a long, cold, lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here...

Here comes the sun
Doo doo doo doo
Here comes the sun and I say
It's alright

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here...

Tom and I recently returned from visiting our daughter and her family in sunny New Mexico, where, even in the winter cold, the sun shines reliably almost everyday. We were thankful to be able to visit for our granddaughter's 6th birthday, and Leila's sunny smiles added some special sparkles to the beautiful weather.

Coming back home to snowy weather and gray days this past week, however, made me think about how easy it is to take sunshine and blue skies for granted when you see them all the time, as my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter do. Here in Rochester, when we have a sunny day in the dead of winter, it seems like a wonderful gift and we run outside to greet its warmth, excited and grateful.

I guess many aspects of life are like that; too easy to take for granted when you have them all the time. Family, a warm home, plenty of food to eat, our five senses, freedom, sunshine and nature, to name just a few. I'm sure it's easy to think of more. No matter what our circumstances are, whether we are experiencing pain or joy, there is always something beautiful and hopeful.

That's where gratitude comes in, being thankful for the good things that each moment brings. As I gazed outside at the lovely snow, brilliantly sparkling, and then moved to sit in front of the fireplace, so cozy and warm, my heart filled with light and a quiet voice whispered;
"all will be well". The winter will pass and spring will come with its light and new growth to give us strength and hope.The gray-white world will pass into greenness and life will come again.

 Thank you, thank you, thank you God!

 

3 comments:

  1. YOU are sunshine! 🥰🙏🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. God lives within us. So hope is just part of our souls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much anonymous! And yes, I agree, hope is part of our souls, Debra, and is what keeps us going!

    ReplyDelete