Monday, October 7, 2024

Calm My Worldly Worries

 "The world is too much with us...getting and spending, we lay waste our powers; little we see in nature that is ours; we have given our hearts away, a sordid boon...for this, for everything, we are out of tune".  William Wordsworth wrote these words in 1807 and they are true, even more so, today. 

There is so much to worry about in our world today that if we don't take the time to tune it all out for a bit and find a way to center ourselves, we can easily become overwhelmed and anxious.

Personally, I find it very centering, when I'm feeling out of sorts, to go for a long walk in the woods.  There is something so soothing and restoring about being amongst ancient trees; walking on the mossy, leaf covered forest ground; hearing the sounds of birds and small creatures; and breathing the softly scented air. It seems easy to connect with our Creator God and find strength when I'm in nature.

There is actually scientific proof to back up the benefits of walking in the woods. In Japan, "shinrin yoku", or "forest bathing", first became popular in the 1980s as a way to deal with the stress caused by the rapid advance of technology. Researchers in Japan found that walking in a natural forest environment has profound physical and psychological benefits for those who make it a regular practice. It can improve sleep quality, mood. ability to focus as well as stress levels and is actually prescribed for a host of ailments, including anxiety and depression.

So, on this morning, when my first glance at the news sets my heart to racing, I will relax, say a prayer and visualize myself walking in the woods. Then, when I have finished my work for the day, I will set out into the forest to breathe deeply and immerse myself in the beauty that is there, just waiting to be given; a gift for all who ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment