Monday, February 3, 2025

Strengthened in the Source of all Being

  As I look out the window and see gray, cold and snow once more. I am trying not to be too discouraged. but it's a challenge. February is like winter's "hump day", sandwiched between the fierce cold of January and the tease of spring in March and I find myself in need of a little encouragement (maybe you do too?) So, I am reposting a blog from February 2019 that sums up my morning thoughts exactly:

Winter is long and hard and sometimes life's circumstances can be difficult; they may even seem overwhelming. Some days, it's easy to feel discouraged and just want to crawl back in bed. But on these days, I remind myself that I am strong when I am weak. When I allow myself to be weak and vulnerable, to let down my guard and trust fully in the Source of all Being, his/her strength flows through me, limited only by my own lack of emptiness.

Let me explain:



To the degree that I am "full of myself" and consumed by my own problems, God's presence will not be fully known. In Alcoholics Anonymous, people can only begin to recover when they admit their powerlessness over the addiction and are willing to trust in a Higher Power for strength to overcome what has control over their lives. 

The principles of AA can apply to most of life's most difficult and challenging circumstances.  When I am willing to surrender my fears, my doubts, my constant trying to be whatever other people expect of me, and just ask for help from a Strength that finds nothing impossible, I begin to see a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

It is difficult, I admit, to empty me of me.  There is so much going on in my brain and body that keeps me constantly trying to do everything, solve every problem, be everything to everyone, that emptying of self is a real challenge. 

But I can start with today, this moment, breathing and releasing; trusting in my Source to provide all that I need to go forward courageously in spite of my fear.  There is an often repeated quote that has been attributed to many people; the first I believe was Mark Twain:  "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the willingness to go on in spite of it".

I ask for help, take a step forward and act courageously, because I know that God will strengthen me.



Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for your God will be with you wherever you go.”   Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment