Monday, March 17, 2025

Safe in the Storm

 Last night, I sat inside looking out the window as a ferocious thunderstorm raged. What seemed like a torrential downpour fell and the wind blew fiercely, rattling the windows. Watching it all from my place on the couch, in the warmth of my home, I felt safe and protected. Although the storm raged on, I felt calm at my core, because I believed that my home protected me. Yet still I was watchful and alert.

As I often do, I thought about the spiritual metaphor this scene created. Our country and the world in general, seems like a scary place right now. Everything seems upside down and torn apart. I have a great deal of anxiety about what is happening, how the very fabric of our democracy is being dismantled.

This may seem like a political, leftist point of view, but I believe we should all be concerned, regardless of political affiliation. Things are not normal by any means, and we will all be affected in some way eventually.

We should definitely be alert and watchful (1 Peter 5:8), not complacent, in the months ahead. But the story that comes to mind is that of Jesus and the disciples in a sailboat on the Sea of Galilee during a furious storm. It was the kind of storm that came up suddenly and soon the waves were crashing over the boat. The disciples were terrified and woke Jesus from his sleep, saying, "Lord save us! We are going to drown!" Jesus said, "Why are you so afraid, oh you of little faith?" And he rebuked the storm, saying "Peace, be still". The storm subsided, there was a great calm and the disciples were amazed.

I think of this command now, as I recall watching the storm from the safety of my home and worrying about the state of affairs in our country: "Peace, be still"...I am calm at my center, no matter what is happening around me. I can hold onto Jesus' words: "Why are you so afraid, oh you of little faith? Stay calm, trust in me, and I will be with you through whatever storms arise.

1 comment:

  1. You put my thoughts into words. The photos also perfectly express the emotion. Practicing stillness ....

    ReplyDelete