Monday, April 21, 2025

Light The Way

 Imagine you are walking down a dark path with only a candle for illumination. You can see clearly enough to take the next steps, but the way forward would be very difficult and scary without that light. You don't know what's up ahead; what twists or turns the road may take; what stumbling rocks might be in your path, so you have to walk carefully, depending on that light to guide you.

To me, this is what faith is like; that daily dependence on the guidance of the Spirit to show me the way. I can't see the whole picture, but if I ask for help each morning, I will be given my "daily bread"... just enough for today.

We really only have "now", this moment in time, because none of us know what the future will bring. We can plan our lives out to some extent, because we want to have a vision of what we would like to happen, but life tends to get in the way of our "best laid plans" and we have to re-adjust, changing course to adapt to whatever comes along in our path.

Anxiety and worry are really just thinking too much about the future, the "what ifs" of life. While I believe it's important to be alert and aware, and to be ready to change course if something doesn't feel right, it does no good to obsess about the future. 

I do try to be hopeful that the best possible outcome will be realized and to never give up on someone who I love, but I have to acknowledge that it's important to allow things to unfold in God's timing.

Just as on the dark path, I can only see so far; enough to take my next few steps. As hard as it is, I must learn to trust and wait, having faith that I will be guided day by day.

1 comment: