As I was walking around our neighborhood this past weekend, lamenting the gray dreary weather, I reminded myself that the sun was still there, shining brightly, though it was hidden behind the clouds. A well-known quote came to mind:
Though I've heard this saying often through the years, I was curious as to its origins and decided to do a little research. There are a few different theories, but the consensus is that this was originally an inscription that had been scratched into the walls of a cellar in Cologne, Germany by a Jew, one of many who had been hidden there during the Holocaust.
I tried to imagine what it would have been like to have been confined to a dark cellar during this very frightening time. Yes, their lives were saved, but they were still deprived of such basic human needs as sunshine, fresh air and freedom.
I thought of how very difficult it would be to cling to one's hopes and ideals, to continue to have faith, under such circumstances. It is a true testament to the strength of the human spirit that someone could write beautiful poetry at such a time.
Maybe it is at just such times, when we are in great pain and deprived of simple comforts, that our inner light shines brightest.
So, today, as I look out the window and see yet more gray and rain on this Spring morning in May, I seek the inner light of Spirit and find strength. I am hopeful, reminding myself that this rain nourishes the new life that is springing up all around me, just as difficult times nourish and create resilience in my soul.
I think of the grace we said when my children were young and bring it with me into the new day:
Thank you for the world so sweet; thank you for the food we eat;
thank you for the birds that sing; thank you God for everything...

HOPE!
ReplyDeletePatti, your uplifting messages brighten the grayest days!
I love the "I believe" quote! And thanks for the reminder of the grace... we said that daily as I was growing up too.
ReplyDelete