There is so much in this world to worry about; perhaps you've had an experience similar to what I'm going to describe.
I woke up too early this morning, a hundred worried thoughts tumbling through my head. I practiced my usual remedies: yoga, deep slow breathing, focusing my mind on a mantra: "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10) is my favorite.As I started to calm down, I imagined packing all my anxieties into a "worry bubble", which I held like a balloon over my head, then just let go. As I did, the familiar and comforting words of Philippians $;6-7 floated into my awareness:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
These words are so comforting, though they do not promise to solve our problems. They do tell us that we will be given supernatural peace in the midst of our difficulties and challenges. I find it interesting and significant, also, that we are to bring our requests to God with thanksgiving. We are to have gratitude for everything, the good and the bad. I'm not sure, but it sounds as if we should also give thanks in advance for a resolution of our problems, to see things in a positive light and to envision the hopeful possibilities.
So, to sum up, when plagued by worry:
- Breathe
- Calm the mind: "Be Still"
- Pack anxieties into a "worry bubble" and let them go
- Pray, with thanksgiving
- Receive the gift of perfect peace
- Be hopeful
Me, too --- great ideas!
ReplyDelete