Monday, December 1, 2025

Give Us Your Light

 Advent. We light the first candle, moving from darkness into light...

I crave light this time of year. The days are so short; sunset coming at 4:30 and then darkness enveloping us in its cloak. Yesterday, I put up some Christmas lights, in the house and outside, trying to bring in more light, trying to get "in the spirit".

Sometimes it's hard to feel festive, with the world being what it is and our country in such a strange state. I also always miss my mother so much at Christmastime; it can take my breath away. She's been gone now for ten years, but every Christmas I cry for her. She was the heart of the holidays for our family and things have never been the same since she passed.

The other day, my daughter and I went to the Eastman Theater to see the Nutcracker ballet and memories of my mom came flooding in. It was a tradition to see the ballet each year and when my children were young, we'd drive into Buffalo to see it with her. My tears this time were happy ones; my heart was filled with love, for my daughters and granddaughters, for all the family who have passed, for the beauty of traditions that bind us all together.

So, this morning, in the milky light of dawn, I think of the first candle of advent; symbolizing hope: for the world, for our country, for our families. I'm praying that we would remember our traditions and keep our loved ones close in our hearts; that everything our parents fought for in another generation will be upheld; that our democracy will prevail; that the goodness and light in people's hearts will win out over the darkness of evil and despair.

I pray to the One who gives us hope: protect us, guide us and strengthen us for this day; in this darkness, give us your Light.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Patti! Cherish those memories! I was only 34 when my mom died … and now I am 90. Still, like your mom, she is always just a memory away. That precious love is always there. Thank you. Patti, for the light you bring! πŸŽΌπŸ™πŸŽΌ. Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Patti and Joyce, for sharing your memories and wisdom. I am so blessed call both of you soul-friends ... with hearts so easily understood by mine.

    ReplyDelete