Monday, March 9, 2026

Rhythm of Life

 I've always found the "spring forward" and "fall back" time changes to be annoying and unnatural feeling. My biological clock feels so unsettled, as if I'm floating between two times for a while. 


We are created beings, aligned with the natural world, and yet we are continually being forced out of sync with the rhythms of life. The rising and setting of the sun, the noonday sky, the stars and moon at night, have always been our timekeepers. Yet, in our day-to day lives, we must adhere to strict manmade measurements of time. We are expected to make our commitments and appointments on time; to be late is considered rude. We celebrate each year of life, we keep track of our calendars and our ages. We lament the passage of time, yet have no control over it. 

It's true that there are no do-overs; there is no way to stop aging or go back in time, though many have fantasized about it. Time travel books and movies theorize about it; quantum physicists say it might be possible in theory, but no one has quite figured it out yet. 

I guess the best we can do is try to live in the moment, however that moment is measured. Be here now, making the most of whatever time we have left. We can obey the constraints of society's time yet still make room to be out in nature each day, feeling the rhythm of the natural world and allowing it to heal our confused biological clocks. 

So, this early morning, I go outside, look up into the still dark sky, feel the warmth of a spring breeze; smell the reborn earth and give thanks for another day. I pray that I will enter into each moment fully grounded and strengthened. Thank you, thank you, thank you God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment