Monday, March 30, 2026

Taking Spiritual Inventory

 If we really choose to enter into the events of Holy Week, we can experience the whole gamut of human emotion and drama: extravagant love and service to others; the importance of remembrance; devotion, fear, betrayal, horror, suffering, death, sadness and mourning, waiting, celebration and joy. 

There is so much to learn here, about being a human, as well as about transcending our humanity and mortality through devotion and faith. The very essence of Christianity is here: we all live our roller coaster lives, each day and year a mixed bag of joy and despair. But, if we believe, truly believe with all our hearts, in the miracle of the resurrection and the promise of new life in Christ, we are given a promise that we can hold onto.

As I sit here today, contemplating all this, I am reminded about the importance of taking a spiritual inventory; and realize that this is probably a good week to do that. After all, we are given the perfect model for our spirituality: The devotion of Mary, sitting at Jesus' feet, anointing him with expensive oil; the lessons of love for others, servanthood and remembrance demonstrated during the Last Supper, the agony of betrayal, suffering and death (things that we all experience at some point in our lives) and how we can transcend pain through entering into it with faith, obedience and hope. We are reminded that joy and celebration are an essential part of our experience as well, and that these times are what give us the strength to go on and to be continually renewing ourselves.

So, on this Monday of Holy Week, I challenge you to prayerfully ask yourself the following questions as a spiritual inventory:

  • Am I expressing my love and devotion, first to God and then to others? What am I DOING to build others up, to show them that I truly love and care about them? How does my life reflect the spirit of servanthood that Jesus demonstrated at the Last Supper?
  • Am I taking time to REMEMBER Jesus through the lesson of the eucharist, inviting the indwelling spirit to live in me? Am I remembering the lessons of those who came before, who have passed on? My ancestors: parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles who helped to shape me...
  • When painful experiences come, am I entering into them, prayerfully, not turning from them or numbing the pain with alcohol, drugs, or distraction, but fully experiencing it, as Jesus did? What lessons can I learn by embracing pain and leaning on God to help me transcend it? How can this make me stronger spiritually?
  • Am I able to wait patiently when my prayers aren't answered immediately? Can I have faith that in divine right timing all will be made well?
  • How can I be renewed and refreshed by the lessons of rebirth and resurrection that the Easter story shows us?
  • How can I more fully enjoy the happy moments of celebration by being present, wholly and joyfully?
As you do this inventory, take notes: what do I want to keep in my life and what is it time to let go of? What can I add to my daily life to foster spiritual growth? How can I more fully embrace the joyful times by being present in the moment, not regretful about the past or anxious about the future? Reflect and be Renewed...

Wishing you all a very Happy Easter Week!

1 comment: