In recent months, my Higher Self reminded me that I had been neglecting my mental, physical and spiritual health. I had gotten so busy and distracted teaching full-time and focusing on family needs that there was no time left for me. So, I scheduled a physical and some preventive health care screenings. I also started what I like to think of as "self-care Saturdays". On this day, I sleep a little later, have a leisurely breakfast, do some physical pampering like an enzyme facial mask, go for a hike in the woods, read a good book, or whatever feels right.
I guess this is just taking biblical advice and having a day of rest, but foolish me has for years believed doing it just for me was selfish. It's not selfish at all, I have come to realize. It's essential to love ourselves and be good to ourselves. In fact, it's a commandment: "Love your neighbor as yourself". As they say on the airplane, "put your own oxygen mask on first, before helping others."
The special day doesn't have to be Saturday, of course. Any day will do, so long as we make a commitment to devote the day to self-care and say no to outside distractions (unless they're self-pampering!)
So today, on this lovely Monday in Spring, I challenge you to prayerfully consider what you could do on your own self-care day. Whatever it is that makes you feel peaceful and pampered is a start. And, as I listen to the birds singing outside my window I think, do whatever makes your heart sing!


Great idea, Patti! Count me in!
ReplyDelete