Thursday, January 10, 2019

I Cultivate my Inner Garden

This morning, I look outside my window and see a bleak landscape:  snow and wind, icy streets and frigid cold.  It is January, after all, and this is to be expected in Rochester, NY.  As I turn within, however, breathing and focusing in prayer and meditation, my inner world is a rush of beauty and color.  I realize that I can create a beautiful garden in my inner sanctuary even in the dead of winter.

I envision lilacs and roses, peonies and Shasta daisies - all my favorite flowers come to life and I am suddenly struck by the power of  imagination.  It is the stuff of books and artwork, music and movies; the creative drive is what motivates us and gives us the desire to keep on living in a world that is uncertain and sometimes scary.

I remember as  a young child, discovering the joy of the written word, first in the bedtime stories my mother read to me, then when I learned to read and a whole new world opened up to me.  I could imagine every detail of what I was reading, visualizing characters and scenes that came to life because someone imagined them first.  It seemed like magic to me!

Today, I encourage you to find that magic...use your imagination to visualize something beautiful, bringing to life your inner garden and rest there, allowing its energy to refresh and renew your spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment