To experience the true peace and joy of the season, we may need to let go of our expectations of perfection. It may not be possible to do it all, to find all the right gifts, to finish our baking or attend every holiday event. We may have family members who've passed on or children who've grown and moved away and we find ourselves having to adjust our ideas about what our holiday should be.

When my children were young, I put tremendous pressure on myself to find every gift on their list (and often go into debt to do so), make sure they had the perfect Christmas outfits, that we baked and decorated cut-out cookies, attended every concert and event, and visited all the relatives. We had a special family time together on Christmas Eve, complete with singing Christmas carols around the neighborhood's 20 ft. tall decorated tree with friends and attending a beautiful candlelight service at our church. Christmas day was a dizzying flurry of activity: opening Santa gifts, having a big breakfast, then getting into our finery for a day of driving an hour and a half, dragging our children from one relative's house to another for more food and gifts. It was fun, but exhausting and I realize, looking back, that I probably would have been more relaxed if I had let a few things go.
Now, my parents and in-laws have passed on, one daughter lives far away and can't make it here, the other is spending Christmas with her boyfriend's family, and I am realizing that this Christmas will be a very quiet one. I am finding, surprisingly, that I am ok with having fewer demands on me, with doing less and releasing my expectations. There is joy in simplicity....
I am embracing the peace of that silent night so long ago,
when a Savior was born and the world was changed forever.
Patti:
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. Amen.
Blessings
Lance