Monday, December 30, 2019

Leave the Past Behind

As I approach the end of another year, I am reminded that ruminating on the past serves no purpose.  Whatever difficulties or challenges that I’ve faced, joyful moments I’ve experienced, mistakes I’ve made and lessons I’ve learned, are all now in the past.  In order to move forward, I need to keep in my heart what is helpful, let the rest go and just be here now, in this moment. 


Sitting in this now moment, just breathing and being, I am aware of my spirit within, like a little spark of light that expands and makes my inner vision clearer.  I realize that I am all that I have and am responsible for, really.  I cannot help someone who doesn’t want to be helped, fix anyone other than myself, or have a relationship with someone who doesn’t want the same.  When I draw my last breath, I will do it alone, and face whatever is beyond with no one but God.



So, I’d best learn to live with and love myself…be kind to myself and nurture my spirit within.  Like so many people, especially women, I have spent my life caring for others-my spouse, my children and grandchildren, my students, my pets, and those less fortunate.  We, as spiritual beings, are called to do all these things and to “love our neighbors as ourselves”.  But we tend to forget the part about “as ourselves” and focus only on the needs of others, so that we neglect our own best interests.  
A big part of learning to love ourselves unconditionally is in letting go of the burden of blame for past mistakes; to learn from them but then be willing to move on and not continually beat ourselves up (and not letting others do it either). 
Each new day really is a gift, a fresh opportunity to release regret, resentment and guilt (whatever is hindering our path forward), to nurture the inner self, to find peace within and to give of ourselves from the bounty of a refreshed heart.

Nurture the Inner Light



4 comments: