As we shelter in our homes during this crisis, how do we find solace for our spirits? How do we calm the noise of our own thoughts and find peace amidst the constant din of news reports with scary statistics and dire sounding predictions? How do we quell the fear that imagines our every sniffle to be a death sentence, that causes us to worry about the loved ones we cannot hug, and the circumstances we cannot control?
These are all good questions to ponder right now and I don't profess to have the answers for everyone, but I know what helps me. I know that when I wake at 5:00 am. with fearful thoughts and worries for family members who live far away, I can breathe and pray, banishing the fear with every exhalation. I can read Psalm 91 over and over, until its soothing assurances of protection infuse my soul with peace. I can be still, focus on a single word or phrase, and meditate until the darkness and fear evaporate in the beautiful light of daybreak.
When the sun has risen, I can go outside, drink in the new light and fresh morning air, listen to the birdsong and be thankful that in this moment, I am alive and well. I can affirm that, in this moment, my body and spirit are sheltered, safe at home. From this place of calm and safety, I can pray for others, holding each person in the Light of peace and healing.
As the day unfolds, I can spend less time watching the news and more time in life-affirming activities: listening to music, walking in nature, working in the garden, cooking healthy food. I can practice mindfulness throughout my day, focusing only on what is right before me, and making a conscious effort not to entertain scary thoughts about future possibilities (the what ifs). I can engage my senses in fully experiencing the sights, sounds, smells and sensations that surround me in each moment.
I can BE HERE NOW
and find shelter for my spirit.
Patti:
ReplyDeleteExactly what I needed this morning. I wish everyone could read this.
So important in this time of fear and uncertainty.
Your words were a gift and blessing to me.
Lance+
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHappy to be giving a gift and blessing back to you Lance!
DeleteHow is it that you address exactly what I am exactly needing? Thank you, Patti!
ReplyDeleteIm so happy that it was helpful to you, Debra!
DeleteExcellent advice on how to deal with anxiety in these trying times.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Carol Reid
Thanks Carol, blessings!
ReplyDelete