Monday, July 6, 2020

Overcome Fear with Faith

"Do not be afraid", "Fear not", and "Do not worry" are commands that are given many times in the bible.  They are always spoken in the context of a comforting message: : "I have good news"; "I will help you"; "I will strengthen you"; "Be of good cheer".  Our fear can be overcome, if we walk right through it in faith.

Yes, we are living in scary times...the constant threat of Covid 19 and the economic uncertainty that surrounds it, police brutality, racial injustice, nationwide protests, militia groups acting as vigilantes and the political divisions that create discord between us.  But love and faith are powerful antidotes.

I recently traveled by air to visit my daughter and her family in New Mexico.  I was afraid to fly on a plane and walk through the airport, but my desire to see my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter overrode my fear.  So I bought an N-95 mask, wrapped my head in a scarf  and visualized myself in a protective bubble of white light.

I arrived in Albuquerque the day after protesters had been shot by a militia group.  The city was boarded up; shops and restaurants were closed.  Throughout New Mexico, wildfires raged and the air was smoky, dusty and hot.  But when my daughter, her husband and my sweet little granddaughter came to pick me up, my joy overrode all and my fear dissipated.  We drove two hours to their beautiful rock house on a hill with its mountain views and well tended gardens where all seemed well and we spent a lovely ten days together.

Certainly, all is not well in the world and we all experience fear, especially now.  But we have been assured that if we walk right through our fear, going on prayerfully (but not foolishly) in spite of it, trusting that we will be cared for, we will be strengthened and filled with "good cheer".

Breathe, breathe in the air, don't be afraid to care...Pink Floyd

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Patti. A great message. Glad you are back safely.

    Blessings

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story! So happy you are such a good listener to His commands! And you had a fun, safe, and healthy trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try, as we all do! Quiet time everyday definitely helps.

      Delete
  3. Good for you to have the determination to fly and see your granddaughter! We were supposed to visit our son and his wife in New Orleans in June, and our daughter and her wife in San Francisco in Sept or Oct.... both are on hold. I love reading your thoughts on how to be reflective and composed in these crazy times! Thank you for your gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Carol! I guess I gambled with the travel, but so far, all is well, thankfully.

      Delete