I am waking up this morning to a beautiful view…mature cactus against a backdrop of mountains and blue sky. My husband Tom and I have traveled across the country with our little dog Shamus, to visit our daughter and her family in New Mexico, where they live in a lovely rock house on a hill, overlooking their sleepy little town along the Rio Grande.
We drove right through Middle America in the midst of a pandemic and a divisive pre-election period, finding, to our surprise, that people are generally friendly and considerate, that mask wearing is the norm (except in Texas!), and that there is beauty everywhere.
We ate take-out pizza and watched the sunset at Fairbanks Park on the Wabash River in Terre Haute, Indiana, drove past the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, and enjoyed the Amarillo, Texas Botanical Garden Riverwalk. We found, as always, that dog owners are the friendliest people, who are the most likely to engage in conversation, and that no one cared about the fact that we are from New York and possibly “anarchists”. In fact, people found it very interesting that we had driven so far!
In essence, we’re all just people; most with good hearts, who want the best for their families and country, and appreciate beauty. I found this encouraging, as I prayed my way through my travel anxiety. Each morning, and throughout the day, as Tom drove and we listened to inspiring books on CD, I released my fears about the “what-ifs” (what if something goes wrong at home; what-if our car breaks down; what-if we get Covid 19 from a motel room?), and affirmed “the peace that passes all understanding” to fill my heart.
We are thoroughly enjoying spending time with our 2 ½ year old granddaughter, who is a delightful mix of joy, enthusiasm, and “terrible two-ness”. Last night, we watched the sunset over the mountains, holding our little sweetie and breathing in the beautiful colors. I told her to breathe in the beauty and hold it in her heart….
I hold beauty
here in my heart
like a gift
received and given..
a warm light
that flickers
and fans into flame.
Each morning, I give thanks for this moment in time, and trust that, throughout this difficult, tumultuous period, God will grant us his peace.



Thank you for sharing your journey and message of hope!
ReplyDeleteJust wonderful!
ReplyDelete