I honor my heart today. I feel its warmth and pulse, giving thanks for this center of my being that connects me to life. I pay it no attention on most days; taking for granted that it keeps going, reliably, allowing me to breathe and walk; that it keeps my blood flowing, nourishing every cell in my body. My heart is where I feel emotion as well. When I express love to someone, my heart area swells with warmth and light. When I am sad, my heart feels heavy and at times of great sorrow, it may even feel broken.
It's interesting that most spiritual traditions recognize the heart as the area of connection to the Divine. In Eastern religions and philosophy, the "heart chakra" is considered the bridge where the physical and spiritual meet. and a great deal is written about how to heal this energy center in order to be more compassionate and loving. In Christianity, the heart is considered the place where we connect to God within. Henry Nouwen, a well-known Catholic priest and author, wrote:
"But when we learn to descend with our mind into our heart, then all those who have become part of our lives are led into the healing presence of God and touched by him in the center of our being. We are speaking here about a mystery for which words are inadequate. It is the mystery that the heart, which is the center of our being, is transformed by God into his own heart, a heart large enough to embrace the entire universe. Through prayer we can carry in our heart all human pain and sorrow, all conflicts and agonies, all torture and war, all hunger, loneliness, and misery, not because of some great psychological or emotional capacity, but because God's heart has become one with ours.”
This morning, as I breathe into my heart center, I am
thankful for this sacred space that connects my body, mind and spirit. I ask that any broken places would be healed, any physical disease would be
restored to health and my capacity for love and compassion would grow. I connect to the Light within, and my heart radiates love in ever expanding ripples...
I carry this energy with me as I go about my day.
.


No comments:
Post a Comment