Monday, March 15, 2021

Simple Gifts

 This morning I am thankful for simple gifts: flowing water; the first spring flowers; a beautiful sunrise; the flock of noisy geese that tell me winter is almost over; the sound of a piano concerto; the scents of lavender, peppermint and ylang ylang; a hug from a loved one; a deep breath of fresh air. 

 As I think of these things, more flood my mind: the first sip of coffee in  the early morning; a warm fire on a chilly evening; my little dog, Shamus as he looks up at me with trusting eyes; the taste of a fresh orange; the deep love I feel for my family. These gifts are given to me each day, yet I barely take notice.  

Perhaps the one year anniversary of our Covid-19 pandemic has caused me to be more sensitive on this morning to the daily assurances that I usually take for granted. I reflect on the time that we have been separated from family and friends, from our churches and community activities. I pray for those who have lost their lives alone in hospital beds gasping for air. I think of  all the health care workers who've been traumatized by caring for patients who they are unable to help in the end, as well as the families left behind and I pray that they would be given comfort and strength.

These experiences have impacted us all and we will never be the same.  Hopefully, we will never again take for granted the simple gifts of our daily lives.

This morning, I look around, give thanks for the five senses that enable me to experience the world, as well as the sixth sense of the heart and soul that gives sight into the unseen. I take notice of the beautiful symphony that is life -- the dark, discordant notes as well as the harmonious, and know that it is all an integral part of my experience of life on earth. Whatever lessons I have to learn, I pray that I will grow through them and come out, somehow, a better, stronger, more loving person. Give me love, God, please... The words to a George Harrison song come to mind:

Give me love
Give me love
Give me peace on earth
Give me light
Give me life
Keep me free from birth
Give me hope
Help me cope, with this heavy load
Trying to, touch and reach you with,
Heart and soul

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the optimistic message on this cold but sunny morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a gift for viewing the world mindfully, reminding us to appreciate the little things that bless our lives. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete