The most interesting part about being awake before dawn is listening to the sounds of the morning. While still dark, I hear coyotes in the distance, howling their night song. As the sky begins to lighten, the birds gradually start their herald of the rising sun, first one or two, then more join the chorus, like an orchestra beginning to warm up. Each one is separate and distinct; one or two are loud and rhythmic, heard above the rest, who seem to be falling into place, each playing his part in welcoming the new day. Some, like the geese flying overhead, add a loud, brassy sound to the whole orchestral piece.
The truth is, tomorrow is just a thought in my head. Sure, I have a calendar and a plan for what I am expected to do in future days. I can dream about what might happen or I can spend time worrying about what I am afraid might happen. I suppose we have to have a blueprint of sorts, but life is really about flow: each moment flows into the next and so on, like a river. We really don't have as much control as we think we have. Sobering, but true.
So for today, I will put myself into God's tender care, sing my unique song praising the light of dawn, and enter into the river's flow.
I will be thankful for each moment as it comes and will be fully present, adapting to whatever there is to adapt to. I will take a lesson from the birds and simply be me. Maybe that is all that's required.
I will be thankful for each moment as it comes and will be fully present, adapting to whatever there is to adapt to. I will take a lesson from the birds and simply be me. Maybe that is all that's required.


Beautiful. Excellent message. Thank you
ReplyDeleteAnd being you, in your writing and in your living, is as special as each bird's song.
ReplyDeleteThank you,my sweet friend!
ReplyDeleteI love this... especially the last paragraph! I love hearing the songs of the birds in the spring and summer mornings, too. They signal the earth coming back to life to greet a new day, to me.
ReplyDelete