I love the crunch of autumn leaves under my feet as I walk through the woods and their earthy, pungent scent in the air.
On a morning like this one, when the sky is slate gray and the wind blows cold, seeming to blow away the last of summer's heat as it tosses those beautiful leaves around, my thoughts turn to change,Autumn, more than any other season, ushers in dramatic change...a new school year, new clothes, new jobs, new elections, new perspectives.
Even while our day-to-day life stays much the same, things are changing around us. Some are predictable and expected, like the leaves changing color and falling to the ground, or the holidays we celebrate every year. Others can take us by surprise, like the changes that Covid has brought, or technological advances that leave us a little confused if we're not continually learning new ways of doing things. Sometimes, change can be devastating, like the loss of a relationship or job, the illness of a loved one or the death of a friend.
Change can be difficult if we remain stuck in the past, or it can foster spiritual growth if we are willing to let go of what is presenting itself to be released and move on. Like the tree that I'm watching out my front window, bending and giving up its leaves to the wind, I can offer my pain, my regrets, my stagnant habits of mind...whatever hinders me from the fullest expression of the person that God created me to be.
So on this beautiful autumn morning, I breathe a prayer of thanksgiving for what is and release whatever no longer serves my highest expression. I breathe in forgiveness and love, breathe out pain, sadness and regret, giving them up like leaves on my tree...all is well in this moment.

No comments:
Post a Comment