Last night, as I walked my dog, I watched the snowflakes drift silently to the ground against a backdrop of glowing lamps and twinkly holiday lights.
I prayed silently, giving thanks for the beautiful moment and asking for peace after a difficult day. As I walked along, I was filled with a deep, unshakable calm that started at my core and radiated outward, like someone hugging me from the inside. The deep calm stayed with me through the night and is still here, thankfully.This is the part of faith that is difficult to explain-the experience of an unseen, loving Presence giving comfort or joy or whatever we need in any given moment. It has nothing to do with doctrine or rote prayers or judging people for "sinful" behavior and everything to do with a living, eternally present Creator who meets us where we are and loves us anyway.
This is grace...the "free and unmerited favor of God". Like the purity of snow falling on this Advent night, grace falls on us, cleansing and restoring us, whether or not we open our eyes to see and accept the gift.
I find it sad that people have come to think of religion as a belief system that condemns and punishes those who don't conform to certain (mostly) man-made rules. Because of this misconception, many run from religion and fill the deep hunger for God with short-term "fixes" like alcohol, drugs, workaholism or social media obsession.
I feel like I want to shout it from the rooftops that there is a God who loves us deeply and cares for us tenderly, who can fill that void and set us on solid ground. Even though sometimes bad things do happen to good people and life can seem cruel with all its ups and downs, He/She is there with us in the midst of it, giving us strength, courage and a deep, unshakable calm.
"Peace, be still"...in the silence we will find You...
*Snow Falling on Salem Path, by Jeff Folger


No comments:
Post a Comment