Monday, December 6, 2021

Baby Steps

 Have you ever watched a one year old child take his or her first steps?  He or she steps hesitantly at first, wobbling from side to side, taking two or three steps and falling down. The child may cry and revert to crawling for a bit, but will try again and again until the steps are mastered.  Though he or she may continue to fall, there is a fierce determination to be upright and mobile, able to explore the world from a new and very exciting vantage point. She has been observing the world for a whole year, frustrated by her inability to move, watching and learning from the actions of those larger and more capable than herself. Now the child is ready to realize the vision that she has held in her mind for so long!

What a great lesson on determination for us all.

If you think about it, this process repeats itself over and over throughout the course of our lives. Learning to talk, riding a bike, developing social and academic skills; all require observing and thinking first, followed by doing when the time is right.

I remember when my son was learning to ride a bike...my husband took the training wheels off and pushed him down the street for days until one morning Jeff woke up and said "Dad, I can do it now- I had a dream about riding by myself and I know I can do it!".  Sure enough, he took right off and rode right down the street with a big grin on his face!


We may get to a point in our lives where we've lost the ability or the will to dream and feel we no longer have the vision to expand our horizons, to learn and grow. We may become complacent or frustrated by our circumstances and find ourselves in a state of inertia, stuck in a "rut" and feeling unable to change. Or we may have a vision, but not know how to get from A to B.  The steps to get there may seem daunting or near impossible. But if, rather than give up, we hold onto the vision and take one or two baby steps in the right direction, perhaps we will wake up one morning and say, "yes! I see it now; the way is clear; I can do it!"

On this gray, drizzly December morning, may we part the clouds with our minds to see the blue sky and sunshine, may we use our imagination and vision to expand our horizons as we pray for guidance and strength, taking baby steps toward
the world of our dreams.


1 comment:

  1. This is another beautiful piece of writing. Thank you Patti!

    ReplyDelete