Stepping outside this morning, breathing deeply and seeing the faint outline of last night's glorious full red moon, I pick up the newspaper and the front page news quickly reminds me of all that is wrong in the world. There are several stories about the horrible hate crime that was committed in our sister city, Buffalo. I read about the young man, barely more than a child, who was so filled with seething hatred for anyone whose skin color differed from his own, that he planned an elaborate, military style attack, traveled 200 miles from home to a black neighborhood and murdered innocent people while live-streaming the "event" for his social media audience. I wonder, as most of us do, how a person can become so twisted with rage that they would do such a thing.
In our own lives, we can commit to practicing kindness and respect and teaching this to others in our sphere of influence. We have children and grandchildren, students and young people in our communities who we can influence in positive ways. In my work with preschool children, teaching social skills is a big part of what we do. Some days I feel like it's a bit of "Lord of the Flies" in the classroom, but I just keep teaching kindness and respect, talking it out, apologizing when you've hurt someone and most importantly, seeing the goodness in each child and doing my best to encourage the positive.
Each of us has a unique perspective on the ways in which we can influence others for good. I pray that today we will commit to this.
Let's imagine, as John Lennon did, a world of peace:
Imagine there's no countries
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... You...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world... You...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one...


Beautifully written.
ReplyDeleteLet's imagine - and be the face of Jesus for others. Thank you, Patti. Well said.
ReplyDeleteWell said, as always. I especially like your suggestions on what to pray for in the face of today's evils. Prayer is our best hope!
ReplyDelete