Monday, August 8, 2022

Celebrating Loved Ones Lost

Summer is a time for family celebrations...graduations, weddings, picnics and vacations. So often during these celebrations, I find myself thinking of the loved ones who've passed on- my parents, Tom's parents, dear aunts and uncles.  It's hard not to think of them and mourn their absence, even as I rejoice in the happy moments of life. 

We recently celebrated our daughter's marriage to a wonderful man and this past weekend, attended the wedding of a dear friend's daughter.
Before the most recent ceremony began, the officiant asked for a moment of silence for loved ones who've passed on and who are rejoicing with us in spirit. I thought that was a beautiful sentiment and it brought a tear to my eyes as I thought of all the loved ones we have lost.

In particular this week, I think of my father, since the four year anniversary of his death was this past Saturday and his birthday is tomorrow, August 9. He chose to die on just such a day of celebration. We had a family picnic at our house and many of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren were able to sing "Happy 96th Birthday" to him as he smiled and clapped in the candle light of his birthday cake. He died peacefully in his sleep that night, having received a beautiful send-off to that other realm.

                                       .

 When we think of loved ones lost, I believe it's important to be thankful for those enduring gifts that they've left behind. I don't mean the monetary or material gifts, but rather the gifts of their spirit; those aspects of themselves that live on in our hearts, that make us better people, that remind us, in difficult moments, who we are and what strength we possess within.

So this morning, I would ask whoever is reading this, to take a moment to pause, give thanks for loved ones who have passed on, who we have never really lost, but whose beautiful spirits have left enduring gifts in our hearts.

 

1 comment:

  1. I will do as you suggest! Thanks for including the sweet photo of your father.

    ReplyDelete