Monday, August 15, 2022

Praise For the Morning

 Sitting outside on my deck this morning, feeling August settling in...cool nights, warm sunny days; the beautiful sounds of woodland creatures singing praises to the day; feeling thankful for all the beauty there is still. 


Regardless of the news headlines that remind me we live in an angry and violent world, there is the soothing balm of nature to restore my spirit.
The other night, around 11:00, I settled in on the patio, bathed in the white light of the Supermoon, listening to the lovely songs of crickets and cicadas, gazing up at the stars and hoping to see the meteor shower.  I felt such peace and was thankful just to be alive in that moment, witness to so much beauty at once.

Now, this morning, as I listen to the "woo woo" of a mourning dove, joining into the chorus of bird and cricket song, and as the garden breathes around me, my heart swells and the words of a Cat Stevens song fill my mind:

 

Morning has broken like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for them springing fresh from the world

Sweet the rains new fall, sunlit from Heaven
Like the first dewfall on the first grass
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
Sprung in completeness where His feet pass

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
Born of the one light, Eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day

Morning has broken like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for them springing fresh from the world

So, as I enter into this very busy day, I will try to bring the blessing of morning peace with me, to act as a buffer against the challenges of this world. I am strengthened by the healing balm that God gives us through his beautiful creation.


*Morning Has Broken", by Cat Stevens 

"Supermoon" photo by Tom Curtin



No comments:

Post a Comment