One of the greatest gifts of spring is a flower, or more precisely, many flowers. A constant parade of loveliness: Crocuses, tulips, daffodils, flowering trees, irises and peonies fill our world with beauty and color, so welcome after the gray cold of winter and loss.
This morning, I was out walking in my neighborhood and was "surprised by joy" (to quote Wordsworth and C.S. Lewis) at the sight of my neighbor's colorful tulip bed glistening in the morning sun. I felt a familiar leap of joy in my heart that I've come to think of as inner singing.
Flowers have always made my heart sing; from the time I was a small girl and my Swiss grandmother took me by the hand as we strolled through her backyard garden. She pointed out each flower by name and seemed to be as fascinated by their beauty as I was. I felt a connection to each one as warmth and happiness filled me.
I believe that flowers remind us that our Creator loves beauty and desires to share this joy with us. Blossoms are intricately designed and perfectly crafted, each one with a unique blueprint. Aside from the loveliness they bless us with, they are essential to life on this planet. Flowers provide nectar and pollen for the bees, which in turn makes it possible for our crops to grow.
In essence, they feed our spirits and bodies as well as demonstrate to us the cycle of life. A flower plant grows from seed, blooms and provides beauty and nectar, then withers and dies, becoming part of the soil that nourishes new plants.
They inspire our art and design, our music and poetry and most importantly, remind us that we are deeply cherished Divine beings, worthy of such beautiful gifts.

I loved your little article of joy. I wish I knew flowers and trees like you do. I know more of the kind of flowers we have than trees. Have you ever consider having your works published? They're very good. Just a thought!
ReplyDelete