Monday, May 22, 2023

Peace Begins With Me

The unrest and pain of the world can seem overwhelming.  Current events weigh heavily on our hearts and it may feel like we're powerless to change anything.  What can we do, after all, in the face of racism, violence and economic disparity and uncertainty?  Is there reason to hope? 

I see hope always, in the morning -- each day is new and fresh.  I step out into the garden and am delighted to find that it is bursting with life and promise.  Irises and peonies budded and ready to open, green and white hostas refreshed by the rain, birds singing their morning ode to joy. 
 


As I breathe in the morning air and sigh a prayer,  an old song comes to mind:           

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me...
Let There Be Peace on Earth
The peace that was meant to be
With God as our Father
Brothers all are we
Let me walk with my brother
In perfect harmony.
Let peace begin with me
Let this be the moment now.
With ev'ry step I take
Let this be my solemn vow
To take each moment and live
each moment in peace eternally

Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me".....(songwriters Jill Jackson and Sy Miller)
 
I can begin, this morning, to keep peace in my heart, to be kind and to build others up rather than judge or diminish in any way.  I can search my heart and ask God to remove any prejudice that is there so that I can fully see the worth of others, even those whose viewpoints differ from my own.  I can speak out against injustice when I see it and vow to never be silent in the face of evil. 

I take a moment now, to be silent, to follow my breath to the source of my being, releasing all thoughts; filling my heart with the rosy light of peace and love.  
I give this to the world, as my small offering...
when I move from the Silence to action, I carry this with me and go in peace.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment