To celebrate my birthday yesterday, instead of obsessing about being another year older and therefore closer to old age and all that we fear about it, I found a post that I wrote in 2021 about being kind to oneself. I believe this is something that we all need to be reminded of from time to time,regardless of our age.
I quote myself here as well as a very helpful Tibetan heart meditation:
"This past weekend, I went into one of my favorite stores and bought something for myself -- three things actually; items that I had been needing for some time but had been putting off shopping for. I was surprised at how good it made me feel to be kind to myself in this very basic way.
This may sound trite to people for whom self-care comes naturally. But for those of us who spend most of our time caring for others, it is an important reminder to follow the second commandment: "Love your neighbor as yourself." We tend to forget the second part of that commandment as we focus on loving and caring for those around us. But in God's eyes, we are important and worthy of love as well.
Clearly, this message is a theme that has carried through last week (the importance of carving out "me time") and expands today, as I personally focus on how God is speaking to me and share this with you in the hopes that it will have relevance to your life as well.
Recently, I read an article about a Tibetan Heart meditation that can help us to accept God's unconditional love and support and to love ourselves in turn":
Begin the practice by imagining yourself in a landscape you associate with peace and joy... Allow the full beauty of the place to penetrate and inspire your every sense. Recall its scents and colors, its light, the contours of its perfection. Allow the inner security you once felt in the place to infuse your whole being. Now imagine and invoke in a cloudless and brilliant blue sky in front of you that representation of the Divine that most moves you and with whom you feel most identified. If you cannot imagine any one form, invoke the Divine as a blazing light that is appearing to show you the boundless love He/She has for you. Start to pray tenderly to this Being: "I am deeply and fully grateful...open to me the treasure house of your heart and make me alive in truth and love". When your heart is completely open, speak out of the depths of whatever you are going through at this time; don't try to conceal any darkness, sadness anguish or fear. Fully express whatever is in your heart and imagine or experience that there is a steady stream of radiant white light being poured into you through the top of your head and pulsating in warm, blissful waves of love and acceptance. Let this light wash over you completely as you release any trouble or concern and allow all to be enveloped in unconditional love. As the peace and solace this practice is bringing you deepens, allow yourself to relax completely in the bliss and protection of the Divine Presence.
Know that you are loved.
*adapted from "Purifying and Strengthening the Heart", by Andrew Harvey
Give yourself permission to love yourself today and be thankful for every moment...


.... and on this year's birthday, you can look back and forward to the loving care you give those you treasure as your growing family, long-time neighbors, and forever friends. Wishing you lots of love and happy times on your birthday!
ReplyDeletexoxo Debra
Happy birthday, Patty! Thanks for continuing to share.
ReplyDelete