Sometimes in life, you can pray for someone or something to blossom for a very long time with seemingly no result. Then suddenly, in some kind of special moment of divine right timing, all your care and energy is rewarded with a healing, a changed attitude, or, in the case of this morning's story, a flower bud.
Let me explain with a little real life parable: It's no secret that I love to garden; I take great joy and comfort in caring for the living things that I've planted. One of the flowers that I've most enjoyed over the years is Cosmos, but I had never before grown these beautiful pink and purple daisy-like flowers from seed. So this past spring, I bought a package of Cosmos seeds, planted them in special potting soil and waited for them to germinate. They rewarded me with dozens of tiny plants which I transplanted into pots and throughout my garden beds, imagining the beauty of those flowers to come.
I watered and fed them faithfully and they did indeed grow into tall. lush, healthy looking plants with their characteristic lace-like leaves. Every morning, I checked them for any sign of a flower bud, but they all appeared to be barren, right through to the end of summer. One day, towards the end of September, I thought about dumping the pots in the woods and giving up. But something said, "No. just wait..."
Imagine my surprise when, one week into October, after a spell of very warm weather, I walked into the garden and found that every single Cosmos plant was covered with flower buds ready to open! I have about 20 very tall plants that each have about a dozen flower buds! All my prayers, care and tending had finally paid off, in God's timing, not mine. I am trusting that those buds will open before the first frost and I will be rewarded with beautiful flowers to show to my granddaughter when she come to visit in two weeks.
The moral of the story? Don't give up, whether it's a flower plant, a person, or a situation in your life, have faith that all will be well...

Another moral: Flowers may never go to school, but they still can teach us much, if we're smart enough to pay attention to them.
ReplyDeleteExactly!
ReplyDeleteOh, Patti, how this touched my heart! My passion for many years was gardening … and cosmos were my favorites along with foxglove. In later years, with getting so many bionic parts, my gardens all had to be plowed under. I know you know how I felt! Please put me on your list. I’m so grateful to Karyn for asking you to include me. She and Lance are helping me through some difficult times. Blessings …. Joyce. 🥰🙏🥰
ReplyDelete