It's funny how, often when I'm worried about someone or something, God will put a song in my heart. It will just spring up, reminding me that the Spirit of comfort is always with me. Today, the song that came to mind is an old African spiritual song called "Peace Like a River". I don't remember when I first learned it or the last time I sang it, but the words are balm to my soul this morning:
I’ve Got Peace Like A River,
I’ve Got Peace Like A River,
I’ve Got Peace Like A River In My Soul,
I’ve Got Love Like An Ocean,
I’ve Got Love Like An Ocean,
I’ve Got Love Like An Ocean In My Soul,
I’ve Got Joy Like A Fountain,
I’ve Got Joy Like A Fountain,
I’ve Got Joy Like A Fountain In My Soul,
I’ve Got Joy Like A Fountain, I’ve Got Joy Like A Fountain,
I’ve Got Joy Like A Fountain In My Soul.
I’ve Got Peace Love And Joy Like A River, I’ve Got Peace Love And Joy Like A River,
I’ve Got Peace Love And Joy Like A River In My Soul,
I’ve Got Peace Love And Joy Like A River, I’ve Got Peace Love And Joy Like A River,
I’ve Got Peace Love And Joy Like A River In My Soul.
I researched the origins of this song and found that it was sung by African slaves as they worked in the fields. It tells me that no matter what my situation is, I can know the soothing spirit of peace; I can feel the power and immensity of love and I can find joy in the moment. No matter what my mood is when I start singing, I will be transformed and empowered to go about my day with the conviction that I am not alone. I hope that you will know this peace, joy and love today as well.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No comments:
Post a Comment