"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness...." These familiar words from the Declaration of Independence remind us that life itself and liberty as the ability to make our own choices in the pursuit of happiness, are gifts from God.
These are such beautiful words, yet when I meditate on this quote for a few moments, I am somewhat confused by the phrase "the pursuit of happiness", which makes it sound as if happiness is an elusive quality that we are always seeking yet never finding. When I look up the dictionary definition of "pursuit" however, I see that I've forgotten it has two meanings: the act of following and trying to catch something or engaging in something, as an activity.
I'm not sure which meaning the founding fathers had in mind, but I'm going to choose the second definition, because it makes more sense. If we apply it to the concept of happiness, it sounds as though it is something we can choose to engage in, to enter into. So, happiness, defined as "an emotional state, characterized by feelings of joy, satisfaction, contentment and fulfillment", can be a choice we make on a daily basis.
We can wake up on a beautiful summer morning such as this and instead of taking on our usual worries, we can let them go for a bit and focus on whatever is excellent or praiseworthy. We can look in the mirror, and instead of cursing our age lines and gray hairs, begin to see ourselves as beloved beings who've been on earth for a while and have a wealth of wisdom and creativity to share with others. We can step outside and really connect with the earth, feeling the wet grass beneath our feet and breathing deeply of the fresh air.
I believe that when we practice gratitude daily, when we look for the ray of light and hope even in the midst of challenging circumstances, we will stop seeking happiness and will begin to realize that it was here in our hearts all along.
No comments:
Post a Comment