Monday, November 4, 2024

Transforming Darkness

We've set the clocks back an hour; our days will be getting shorter and darker. In this same week, there is a momentous election before us, one which may very well determine the fate of our country. My mind conjures up metaphors for the time we are in: of darkness and light; despair and hope; hatred and love; evil and good. What is darkness but the absence of light; despair but the absence of hope; hatred but the absence of love; evil but the absence of good? Each one of these is an example of a void versus a filling up, a need in the emptiness of despair, hatred and evil that can be met with hope, love and kindness.

In my 2 am. meditations, I visualize moving the dark energy of hatred into the Light of Christ...I see it disperse into tiny sparks and then move upwards into the boundless arms of Love. I pray that all will be well; that we will continue on in hope and goodness; that we will heal from this time of division and name calling.

No matter what happens, I am hopeful that all will be well in time if those who are called to the light will continue the process of transforming darkness. It is important work that our country and the world need now more than ever.

Each one of us can do this work, in our own circles, praying to be a reflection of Divine light and love to those around us. We must stand firm and refuse to give in to the darkness of negativity and hatred for "the other". We must search for the sacred spark in each living being, and commit to bringing us back from the edge of the dark cavern of hatred we now stand on.

I believe that our country is so much better than this, that the ideals of democracy and equality for all that we were founded on are still relevant and so critically important to cling to and uphold right now. I pray for us all and hope you will too.

1 comment: