Summer is winding down and this morning's breeze and cooler weather remind me that change is an essential part of life. The seasons transition, our circumstances change, our minds and hearts grow and change.
Even while our day-to-day life stays much the same, things are changing around us. Some are predictable and expected, like the start of a new school year, the leaves changing color and falling to the ground, or the holidays we celebrate every year. Others can take us by surprise, like the political changes that a new administration has brought, or technological advances that leave us a little confused, if we're not continually learning new ways of doing things. Sometimes, change can be devastating, like the loss of a relationship or job, the illness of a loved one or the death of a friend.
Change can be difficult if we remain stuck in the past, or it can foster spiritual growth if we are willing to let go of what is presenting itself to be released and move on. Like the tree that I'm watching out my front window, bending and giving up its leaves to the wind, I can offer my pain, my regrets, my stagnant habits of mind...whatever hinders me from the fullest expression of the person that God created me to be.
It may be that fear holds us back, or simply apathy and inertia. We may be ruminating about mistakes made in the past, resentments that we still harbor against ourselves or another. We may find ourselves in very difficult circumstances and it's hard to envision a way out. Sometimes, we may even feel trapped and helpless.
Yet, I am reminded this morning that all of life is in a constant state of movement. If we're not moving and adapting, we become stagnant, stuck in old patterns and ways of doing things. The expression "I'm stuck in a rut", means just that: a feeling that your life is like a wheel that has fallen into a deep groove in the road, unable to move forward.
We may be able to move forward with some self-reflection and prayer:" I can do all things through God who strengthens me", taking baby steps toward needed changes. Or, if we find ourselves in need of help, it may be beneficial to talk to a trusted friend, family member, or therapist.
Whatever path to change we decide to take, it's always best to start with the here and now. So, on this beautiful late summer morning, I breathe a prayer of thanksgiving for what is and release whatever no longer serves my highest expression. I make room for change in my life and heart: breathing in forgiveness and love, breathing out pain, sadness and regret, giving them up like leaves on my tree...all is well in this moment.

I needed this today. Thank you
ReplyDelete