Monday, August 18, 2025

The Blessing of Water

  This morning, I am especially thankful for the gift of water, after last night's much needed rain. We were born in water, our bodies are made up of watery fluids, we are refreshed by rainfall and the oceans, rivers and streams near our homes. Without it, we could not survive.

I've been meditating on the blessing of water the past few days; being so close to Lake Ontario means that whenever I am feeling stressed or simply want to watch a beautiful sunset, I can just hop in the car and be there in minutes. Watching the sunlight sparkle on a large expanse of water is hypnotizing and uplifting; being close to a river, ocean or waterfall elevates one's spirit in a way that is indescribable. Water is healing to the body, mind and spirit; an essential element that, here in the Northeast, where we have abundant rainfall and clean drinking water, is often taken for granted.

I am very thankful to be here, able to drink clean water and hike near rushing streams and waterfalls as we did yesterday, yet my heart aches for all those who don't have this simple gift of life: people in the Sudan and other dry land areas, who have been struggling to get clean water; those experiencing extreme heat waves and water use restrictions.

Today, I say a prayer for all those who struggle to find clean water, for those in inner cities who have no access to the restorative healing power of nature's most beautiful sources of water and I ask for God's help to do whatever I can to protect this precious resource. 

 When I am feeling down about the state of the world, climate change or the divisions that politics create, I am thankful that I can go to the water and find peace.

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry, "The Peace of Wild Things"





4 comments:

  1. Whenever I smell or watch or feel rain on my arms, I feel so blessed for the waterways I have lived nearby all my life. And when I read your Monday Messages, I feel so blessed for your friendship and our like mindedness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing these lovely comments; I truly appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. Ditto on the above. Loved the cooler breeze yesterday as well! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Yes, the breeze and cooler weather has been so welcome.

      Delete