Monday, June 29, 2026

Breath is Life

Breath is life...it connects us to the Source of all being. Quite literally, breath means "spirit". The Hebrew word "ruach" and the Greek word "pneuma" are both translated to mean spirit or breath. The Latin word "spiritus" translates to breath or wind. When we breathe our last, I've heard it's like a long sigh, a letting go and then, no more.

Often when I am upset about something and don't feel centered, I will simply focus on observing my breath for a few minutes and it calms me down (try it!) Through my breath, I can feel centered and connected to Spirit, regardless of outward circumstances.


For calming anxiety, soothing nerves or lifting depression, it's important that our breathing is deep, long and slow. We can do a counting rhythm: breathe in to a count of 4, hold for a count of 4, exhale to a count of 8. We can visualize something soothing as we breathe: a body of water, a deep forest or a sunset. We can breathe prayerfully: letting go of any negativity in our lives on the exhale; focusing on gratitude and joy for whatever is "excellent or praiseworthy"  on the inhale. Deep, slow breathing, pushing the air into the belly, counteracts the natural tendency to breathe shallowly when anxious or worried. It calms our central nervous system and puts us in a relaxed, prayerful state of mind.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you". Philippians 4: 6-10

Be present, slow down and breathe in Spirit...

1 comment:

  1. I'm right with you, Patti, how I breathe often is how I get through a number of difficult moments.

    ReplyDelete